Selling Process – What to ExpectEven for seasoned movers, selling a home can be a daunting process to navigate. It is important to have an agent who understands your local market, current inventory and typical trends. With more than 10 years of real estate experience and $135 million in sales in Glen Ridge, Montclair and Essex County, Kathy has the skills, knowledge and contacts to make your next move a positive and successful one.
Below is an overview of what you can expect during the selling process.
1. Initial Consultation: During this no-obligation meeting, Kathy will visit your home to review the property and discuss timing, current market trends, marketing strategies and potential red flags that need to be addressed before putting the house on the market.
2. Signed Agreement: Once you decide to work with Kathy, she will have an exclusive partnership with you to sell your home. She will work with you to determine the best sale price based on current inventory/competition, interest rates, and the condition and location of your home. It is important to remember that pricing your house correctly at the beginning of the sales process will result in a faster sale.
3. Prepping Your House: Prepping your house for sale is all about making your house as appealing as possible to potential buyers. This may seem like a lot of work, but the effort will pay off in better showings and faster sales. So it is imperative to:
- Declutter: This applies to oversized furniture, closets, pantry, cabinets, basement, family photos and knick-knacks, and magnets/notes on the refrigerator.
- Repaint: Potential buyers what to picture their own furniture in the house . . . which means not being overwhelmed by your own decorating style. Especially consider repainting dark rooms with neutral tones that allow the buyers to focus on the room.
- Clean: EVERYTHING! This includes the mantle, ceiling fans, refrigerator interior, floorboards and all pet hair. Consider hiring an agency to help maintain your house if you think you will have trouble keeping it spotless before showings. Your bathrooms should be sparkling clean with no stains or mildew.
- Make minor repairs:This includes all the little projects you wished you had done sooner . . . leaky faucet, loose doorknob, scuff marks on the floorboard, cracked tiles. Time has arrived to finally do something about them!
- Don’t forget the outside: Your home’s curb appeal is the first impression potential buyers experience both online and in person. Trim the shrubs, weed gardens, place potted plants along the walkway, hang a seasonal door wreath and make needed repairs to the walkway.
5. Professional Photos: Eye-catching photographs are one of the most important elements of selling a home. You need to create a “must-see” visual incentive for buyers shopping online, as well as a lasting memory in brochures for buyers who view your home in person. Kathy works with an extremely talented photographer who is an expert at capturing a home’s key architectural elements, room flows, lighting and unique charms.
6. Marketing Materials and Outreach: Using the professional photographs, Kathy will send highly visual “Just Listed” post cards to your surrounding neighborhoods, highlighting upcoming Open House times. She will also produce a high quality, take-home brochure for all potential buyers who visit your home. As online home searches are now the norm, Kathy heavily promotes your home online on kw.com, Zillow/Trulia.com, realtor.com, as well as a host of other websites. This provides thousands of buyers and agents with access to your listing. In addition, Kathy also advertises through social media sites, such as Facebook and Instagram, to reach highly targeted audiences.
7. Open House for Agents: Kathy will host an agent-only Open House as soon as your house is listed so agents can preview your property prior to the Public Open House. Typically 20-40 agents attend, and it provides agents with the chance to ask questions about your home and encourage their clients to immediately schedule an appointment or visit the Public Open House. It also offers Kathy professional feedback on whether any last-minute adjustments are needed before the Public Open House.
8. Public Open House: Typically held on Sunday afternoons, this Open House is available for all potential buyers to attend. It is a good opportunity to reach new buyers who many not yet have an agent of their own (and therefore wouldn’t have heard about the preview at the Agent Open House).
9. Offer Review and Negotiation: Once your house is officially on the market, Kathy will continue to monitor competing properties in town and the neighborhood. She will also provide her expert and tested guidance in the negotiation process once offers come in . . . especially in a bidding process if you receive multiple offers.
10. Final Stretch to Closing: Once an offer has been accepted, Attorney Review is complete and your home is officially “Under Contract,” Kathy will adhere to a strict timeline with you and the buyer’s agent to ensure a timely closing. This includes working with you through the building inspection process and helping you obtain cost estimates for any issues that are raised by the buyer. Kathy has an extremely well-tested list of top contractors, plumbers, electricians, etc. who can assist with the estimates.
11. Closing!: You’re at the finish line, but we all know last-minute issues can arise. With Kathy’s experience, she can prepare you for the buyer’s final walk-though to avoid any potential issues that might prevent a smooth closing.
“Kathy Kulik is a true professional. From the very beginning to the very end, she was available evening during the weekends and evenings through emails, text or phone calls. Her knowledge in real estate in NJ is second to none. As a starting point of pricing our home, she had all the analysis done and you got the feeling that she had studied them and they were not just paper exercises. She incorporated our priorities and the pace of the real estate market to come up with the right price. After the offer was made, Kathy was on top on every step of the way. If there were any delays from the layers or buyers, Kathy informed us to respond with the appriopriate actions. With Kathy and her team on our side, the worries of selling our home was substantially reduced!!!
– Francie S. & Jim L., Glen Ridge